Health Savings Accounts

Can You Make Contributions to an HSA if You Are Covered under an FSA or HRA?

You may not be eligible to make contributions to an HSA if you are currently covered under a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) that provides duplicate coverage of the HSA. However, if you have an FSA or an HRA, you will be eligible to participate in an HSA if:

  • Your FSA or HRA repays or reimburses only vision, dental, or preventive care expenses.
  • Your FSA or HRA is a high-deductible arrangement that pays or reimburses health-care expenses only after the minimum annual HDHP deductible has been satisfied.
  • You suspend your HRA for a period of time by electing to forgo reimbursement of HRA benefits that you incur during the suspension period (your employer can continue to make contributions during the suspension period).
  • Your HRA is a retirement HRA that reimburses medical expenses you incur once you retire (although contributions can be made before you retire).
Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus
*Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. ("CFS"), a Registered Broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC-registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS: are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including possible loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. General Electric Credit Union has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members.