Your Social Security Benefits

Auditing Your Social Security Statement

Your Social Security Statement provides you with a list of your Social Security earnings each year through your previous year's wages. It will tell you the current estimate (in today's dollars) of your retirement benefit at the age you requested, as well as the benefit at full retirement age and at age 70. It also tells you the projected amount of disability benefits and survivor benefits your family may receive.

  1. As a general rule, the Social Security Administration can correct errors only up to 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days after they occur.
  2. If eligible for Social Security, audit your personal Social Security record carefully.
  3. A Social Security Statement is mailed annually to all individuals age 25 and older. If you have not received this statement, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and ask for Form SSA-7004 (Request for Social Security Statement). It can also be requested via the Internet at

Review your record of earnings carefully. If they do not agree with your own records, contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. You will need past W-2 forms, pay stubs, tax returns, or any other proof of your earnings.

Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus
*Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. ("CFS"), a Registered Broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC-registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS: are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including possible loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. General Electric Credit Union has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members.