Managing Your Credit and Debt

Credit Counseling

If you feel like you need some help dealing with credit issues, you can talk to a credit counselor. This is a specially trained person who will help you with your cash flow and intervene with your creditors.

The Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS) is a not-for-profit agency that provides credit counseling. Contact the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) toll-free at 1-800-388-2227, or on-line at, to locate a local CCCS office.

Some credit counselors are not what they seem. Before you pick one, ask how they are compensated. They may want to charge you large fees, yet be of limited help. Check with the Better Business Bureau in your area, or ask your bank for a referral.
Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus
*Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. ("CFS"), a Registered Broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC-registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS: are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including possible loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. General Electric Credit Union has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members.